banner
Home

Mobile Point Range Light Marker

Latitude: 30.2290
Longitude: -88.0230

Middle Bay Lighthouse
Sand Island Lighthouse
Mobile Point Lighthouse
The Mobile Point Range Lights were a series of lighthouses at the entrance to Mobile Bay, at Mobile Point on the tip of the Fort Morgan peninsula, near Mobile, Alabama, United States.
The first lighthouse was built as a landfall lightCivil War by June 1822 at a cost of $9,995. The lighthouse was a conical brick masonry tower, 40 feet (12 m) tall. It was first lit on 29 September 1822. Fort Morgan was built adjacent to the lighthouse in 1833. The lighthouse was joined by the 200-foot (61 m) Sand Island Light across the mouth of the bay, about 3 miles (4.8 km) away in 1858. This resulted in the Mobile Point Lighthouse being downgraded to a harbor light, at the same time a fourth order Fresnel lens was installed. A period photograph, taken prior to the American Civil War, shows two shorter masonry towers standing on the beach below the main tower, they served as range lights. The lighthouse was subsequently destroyed by cannonball fire in the Battle of Mobile Bay during the Civil War.
After the war, a temporary wooden tower was built and the Fresnel lens, having survived the destruction of the old tower, was transferred to this structure.
A 30-foot (9.1 m) iron lattice-work tower was built, along with a new light keepers house, in 1872 as a replacement and the Fresnel lens was transferred to it. It was lit on 15 February 1872. After 96 years of service, the iron light was decommissioned and in 1966 sold to a scrap dealer in Pensacola, Florida.
In 1977, an article appeared in the Mobile Press Register, "Want a Lighthouse? Here's one for sale!" The scrap dealer was selling the light. The article was seen by David Smithweck and inquired as to its purchase. Mr. Smithweck was familiar with its history and thought it was important to be restored and returned to its rightful place at the lighthouse battery at Ft. Morgan. The scrap dealer's son informed him that it would cost $2,500 but he would deliver the light back to Fort Morgan at no charge if the Fort agreed to have it returned to their property. Mr. Smithweck was a member of the Museum of the City of Mobile at the time and he contacted the museum director and asked if the museum might be interested in the purchase of the light. The request was referred tot he Acquisitions Committee of the museum and they informed Mr. Smithweck that they felt it would be a worthwhile project. Mr. Smithweck then contacted the scrap yard again and informed them of the purchase but he decided to donate the tower to the museum and deliver it to Ft. Morgan.
Mr. Smithweck made the presentation to the Museum and it was suggested that he contact the Alabama Historical Commission in Montgomery to see if they would oversee the project. They accepted and the lighthouse tower was delivered back to Ft. Morgan. After 12 years of being on its side at Ft. Morgan, the AHC secured $64,150 in Federal funds including a donation of $25,000 from the National Park Service to restore and re-erect the lighthouse.
In 1991, the light was restored. In 2003, the lighthouse had significantly deteriorated and it was dismantled and shipped to the Robinson Iron Works in Alexander City, Alabama where it has been ever since. It is the hope of the Alabama Lighthouse Association that it can be restored for a mere $350,000.
About Us
Membership
Links to visit
Newsletter/E-News
Like us on Facebook
 
Payment Options

 

 


Storage photos by Brent Beall , Board of Directors, ALA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile
_Point_Range_Lights

Amazon.com to purchase related
books on Mobile Point Lighthouse

 

Alabama Lighthouse Association
P.O. Box 250
Mobile, Alabama 36601

E-mail: alabamalighthouses@bellsouth.net
Webmaster: Marie Bidney

11.16.14